Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Am I cut out to raise a BOY?

Cohen has developed a love of shutting doors around the house. Whether he is leaving a room or going into one to play it doesn't matter the door gets SLAMMED! Last week he was leaving his sisters room he turned to slam the door and unfortunately he ended up using his thumb as a door stopper. After the good 5 minute melt down he was fine and on his way playing again. I did manage to look at it but nothing was looked abnormal, it was a little red around the cuticle but that was to be expected after getting your fingers caught in the door. No worries. Or so we thought...Fast forward 4 days. Cohen wakes from his nap crying hysterically(never does that) he wouldn't let me pick him up, hold him NOTHING! He was holding his little had in a weird position so I grabbed it and examined it(not even recalling his door incident)and that is when I saw the THUMB! Yowsers! That thing was double in size and totally yellow under the nail bed. Since I was sick with the flu and it was Saturday around 6 p.m. Scott took our little guy to the E.R. it was there after and X-ray that they determined he had fractured the tip of the thumb. The Dr. then went on to say that when a child hurts a finger they tend to start sucking on it to help relieve the pain, hence that is how it got so infected under the nail bed. After a quick incision to clean and drain the infection, a prescription and hand wrap they were on their way home. Now 5 days after the antibiotics it looks somewhat normal...we are just missing the WHOLE nail which we did happen to find on the floor...VOMIT!
No, he did not learn his lesson on slamming doors but I am hopeful he will soon grow out of that stage. HOPEFUL.
Once again no pictures and I think everyone will thank me this one time for that:)

5 comments:

Shanna said...

Yah, isn't being a mommy fun but it sure has it's times when you wish you just wern't there.
It gets better and no worries.... he will do it agian!!!
;)

chelon:) said...

poor little guy!! don't you just love boys! miss you :( xoxo

The Wells Family said...

oh my goodness! that is so sad! not to mention probably discusting. i am glad scott took him. i can't handle anything with hospitals. whenever i had little er moments (stitches), it was my dad who took me, not my mom. I think i will be the same. i hope cohen feels better. and these are such small phases...more exciting moments to come!

Anonymous said...

I am still having nightmares about the fingernail! Like it was going to attack us! Poor baby, but he sure uses his thumb as a topic of conversation now. Just holds it up, and waits, for someone to ask him about it.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Ohhh the nail. I was just laying there perfectly next to mom's feet. I actually threw up a little in my mouth when I realized it was his whole nail laying there on the carpet. blecchcahkeha.